Monday, September 10, 2012

What's the biggest obstacle in approaching a stranger for any network marketer?

This week's Kick Start features an interview with marketing director, Rachel Embry. She is a self-described introvert who was once a top network marketing income earner.
According to Rachel, talking to strangers seems to be one of the biggest fears in this business. But she overcame it. And if she can do it, why can't you? Here's how an introvert describes the science behind the fear of talking to strangers.

What's the biggest obstacle in approaching a stranger for any network marketer?

Rachel: I think for most networkers, there are 2 big obstacles that stop them from easily approaching a stranger. The first is lack of belief.

I'm going to explain how this "looks" by telling you a story.
When I was actively recruiting, the system I followed was to quickly get a distributor trained and then get him/her on the phone to invite people to take a look at the opportunity. This is a common system and many network marketers follow it.
However, I quickly discovered that some new recruits would get on the phone and excitedly invite people with great success. Other new recruits would fearfully get on the phone, follow the same script and fail terribly.
After speaking with the ones who were failing miserably on their prospecting calls, I discovered the No. 1 reason behind their failure was because they weren't sure the business was going to work. They doubted whether they'd be successful.

So, what's the solution? What helps them overcome the "business won't work" fear?
Rachel: I've found that the solution here is to read about and listen to as many success stories as you can. Hearing that someone else is doing it increases your belief that you can.
Tracking results is also extremely helpful because you can quickly see where you're having success and where you need to find help to improve. Pocket Tracker is a great tool to use for this.

You said there were two big obstacles. Tell us about the second.
Rachel: The second big obstacle when approaching strangers is the fear of rejection - being afraid to look foolish. Being fearful of hearing the word "no."
I don't have a magic solution to get over this fear. The only advice I can give is: you don't get over the fear, you work through it.

You don't get over the fear, you work through it.
If you believe in your products and opportunity and you're excited about sharing them, you will still FEEL fearful. Your throat will tighten, your hands make shake, you'll sweat, and your heart will beat fast.
That's your "flight mechanism" kicking in. Your body and mind try to convince you that danger is near and you must run away from it. However, logically you know there is no physical danger.
The very worst that can happen is the person you're speaking to will say "No thanks," and you'll both move on with your day.
So, you have the ability to stay and fight through that feeling of fear. Once you do that the first time, the feeling of fear will get smaller. I don't think it ever goes away completely, but it certainly dissipates.

What happens if you give into the fear? How do you get unstuck?
Rachel: I started my network marketing career "organizing" purchased leads. I spent hours making notes on the lead sheets, putting them into a binder, but never actually getting myself on the phone. That obviously got me nowhere.

I once heard a teacher discussing the topic of "feelings" and how you can have the feeling, but still make a decision to take action and do the right thing. This made me realize that getting rid of the fear (removing it so I didn't feel it anymore) was not going to happen.

I would always feel afraid. However, I could push through that feeling and still DO the right thing.
On my first conference call (hosting), I was so afraid my body physically shut down. I had the shakes, my back started to ache, and I was short of breath. Several times I thought about cancelling the call...telling the attendees I had phone troubles...anything to get out of speaking on this call.
But, that was fear talking.
So, with shaky hands I dialed into the call, and with a shaky voice I led that night's training.
I still feel fear before doing live calls, but my hands no longer shake because I have confidence I can do it.
And, I've already decided - it doesn't matter HOW I feel, I know the right thing to DO, so I'm doing it...end of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment